Friday, October 20, 2006

More books

This might be getting old for some people, but I felt like reflecting on some of my book history. This is what I came up with....although I feel like there is more than one answer for some of these.

1. Book that changed my life: There are two. "The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path to Loving-Kindness" was a book I read in a spirituality class in college. Interesting perspective on how to live your life in kindness, love yourself, accept things you can't change, etc. The other book that changed my life was "Lady and the Tramp," because it was the first "chapter" book I ever read, and it inspired me to keep on reading. :)

2. Book I've read more than once: "Where the Red Fern Grows." Love it. It was also the first book that made me cry.

3. Book I'd want on a deserted island: One of those survival guide books, of course.

4. A book that made me laugh: "Marley and Me." Highly recommended if you have a dog, have had a dog or are thinking about getting a dog. It's wonderfully written, an easy read and very entertaining.

5. A book that made me cry: Other than "Where the Red Fern Grows," all Nicholas Sparks books always make me cry. I also cried reading "Marley and Me." It's so touching!

6. Book I wish I had written: "My Sister From the Black Lagoon," because I feel like the author ripped off a bunch of my own childhood stories--not from my sisters, from my brother.

7. Book I wish had never been written: Really not sure on this. I'm thinking there were probably several books I never finished reading that were required in school. One that pops out in my head was "The Broken Cord," about a kid with fetal alcohol syndrome. The author turned out to be an alcoholic or something, and he was the one telling the story of his son, I believe. After that, I think Woodbury High School didn't require 10th graders to read that anymore.

8. Book I'm currently reading: "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates," a book given to me by Stacy and Taylor. I've only just started it, and so far it's pretty good.

9. Book I've been meaning to read: "1984" since I borrowed it from my brother about two years ago. There's many more on my shelf that I need to read, but that's probably the next one.

If you made it all the way to the end, congrats! :)

4 comments:

Kate said...

I have to tell you that "1984" would rank as one of the books that I disliked the most. Well-written, interesting and thought-provoking. I hated the ending. But then again, after you read the ending, and from knowing me, you'll know why I disliked it and why others probably loved it. =) But I like your list! Is the one Stacy and Taylor gave you by Tim Robbins? I read the one they gave me from the wedding by him and enjoyed it - very interesting. Ciao!

Anonymous said...

First of all Kate, "1984" is an Excellent book. Definitely read and enjoy Heidi. You aren't supposed to love the ending. Secondly, my fabulous author is TOM Robbins...Tim Robbins is an actor. But glad you enjoyed the book. Now that I am done being a smart-mouth, all i have to say is YAY for reading, YAY for books!! Read on people, read on!

Anonymous said...

I read 1984 in 1963 as a senior in high school! And actually had to do a book report on it. I remember being fascinated by the talking, thinking animal idea, but truthfully don't even remember the end. Guess I should read it again.
Love hearing about what everyone's reading.
Carol

Katy said...

I read Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury for a senior paper in highschool. it was weird and I totally enjoyed it. It was inspired by 1984. enjoy!