Monday, August 21, 2006

Katy's Triathalon

I'll be sure to blog more extensively on this subject on my personal blog. Right now I'm experiencing an exhaustion hang over and wondering what on earth possessed me to work out this morning!

My sweet roommates, Jessie and Janell, crammed in my car and drove with me up to Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin on Saturday. We stayed at the fabulous, smoke filled, LaQuinta and shared a King sized bed. Hilarious. We slept maybe a wink that night. My alarm went off at 4:40 am and we rolled out of bed, grabbed our bags for the morning and drove to the parking lot where we'd hop a school bus and be shuttled to the actual triathalon site. The weather was chilly and we saw the sun rise. It was a perfect day for the race.

It was amazing looking around at all of these athletic men and women. It seemed to me that most of the triathletes were in their 40's. These were very ripped 40 year olds. Maybe they were all bored with marathons and needed a new challenge.

I was part of the 17th wave and we all wore the isued purple swim caps. I felt calm and ready until I got into the open water for the swim. Five strokes in and I was huffing and puffing. I must have been too excited. Foggy goggles, green water and swallowing half of the lake made the swim pretty rough. I think I did the breast stroke the whole time. This third of the race I must work on!

I quickly ran up the sandy hill, saw Janell and Jess cheering me on and ran to my bike. I was thrilled to finally be on the bike and riding through the country side. This was my favorite part of the triathalon. I moved quickly and saw so much! Next thing I knew, the bike was over and I once again was greeted by my cheering roommates. The run went fast and I nearly cried as I crossed the finish line. What a race! My miles were less than 10 minutes which is a miracle. I finished in 1 hour and 38 minutes. That's better than my goal. Now I just need to get my swim down and my transition times faster!

I'll post pictures soon. If anyone wants to do this next year, I'm game! Or maybe we can add it to the Lindsay Beach Olympics!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add it to the Lindsay Olympics??? The younguns would have to handle it, that's for sure. We oldies could sit in our chairs and wave encouraging signs.
Katy, we LOVE that you love doing these events. Thanks for being such an exciting kiddo!!!
Love,
Mom

steve&maryanne said...

Ozette-You are the best. Congratulations. OZ & Mary Anne