Thursday, August 17, 2006

Middle School is... So Cool!

WOW. Anyone ever taught 6th graders before? Can I TELL you how entertaining they are? I remember being that "odd", but from a teacher's standpoint, I'm now finding out what a different breed we all were! It is amazing to see the difference between the 3 grades I teach. 6th graders have no clue. None whatsoever and they don't seem to be capable of GETTING a clue. That's what makes them so loveable! They're so cute! 7th graders have a clue. But they're still trying to please the teacher. How great is that after teaching 3 years in a high school with 9-12th graders and crazy attitudes? 8th graders? Attitude the first day, grow on you the second, and by the third I'm thrilled to have these maturing adolescents as my sobering students who remind me that we grow up so fast. And yet...

Why do they choose the songs that I grew up with and my parents tuned into when it comes to requesting songs from the DJ at the "Back to School Bronco Bash" to dance to??? While I enjoyed it (Vanilla Ice, "Love Shack", etc.) I was surprised to see how much my students enjoyed it! I have one student who requested "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond - while it wasn't the #1 thing to dance to tonight, it got quite a few people singing "Sweeeeeet Caroliiiiine... BAMP BAMP BAMP!" and then prompted my Assistant Principal to sing "All I want for Christmas is a Hippopotamus". If anyone has the music or words to that, I need to get her worked into my Winter Concert.

Alrighty! Enough for one night. I just thought people might like to relive their Early Teenage Years... ahhhh... puberty. That's a whole separate blog. Have a great night!!!

2 comments:

Katy said...

Yay! I love that those kids are already winning you over! I love those ages too and completely agree with your descriptions.

katyo

Carol Orender said...

Kate ~ I taught 7th graders and really enjoyed them. Glad you're finding your new job (new kids) better than you'd initially imagined. Just love them. They'll bloom for you!
Carol